2016 On-Site Visit Schedule and Report
PBEA PLC On-Site Visit
Objective, Agenda, and Ideas
Objective: At the end of the visit, PLC team members will have identified the needs of the African faculty members, provided consulting, and provided professional development on how to integrate the e-modules and enhance their teaching and learning.
Saturday and Sunday: Travel from Des Moines, Iowa to respective locations in Africa.
Monday: Goal: Understand the environment, coursework, and student/teacher dynamics.
- Campus & plant breeding facilities tour
- Get acquainted with faculty, facilities, coursework, & students
- Begin instructional observations
- Ask faculty to consider best date for the teaching symposium
Tuesday: Goal: Understand the environment and instructional approaches used by the faculty members.
- Observe instruction
Wednesday: Goal: Provide professional development aimed at enhancing teaching and learning.
- Seminar, workshop, round table discussion, or other form of professional development
- Aimed at plant breeding faculty members, plant breeding students, college of agriculture faculty members, and/or all university faculty members.
Thursday: Goal: Provide individual consultations and make further observations for needs assessment.
- Individual consultations
- Additional observations of instruction and learning
Friday: Goal: Wrap up the visit and plan for the future.
- Finish any final observations and consultations requested by faculty members
- Plan for the future
- Set dates for ISU Teaching and Learning Symposium
- Identify needs and topics for webinars
- Identify needs for distance consulting
- Identify any other requests for future professional development.
Saturday and Sunday: Return to Des Moines, Iowa.
Ideas for On-Site Professional Development:
Plant Breeding Faculty:
- Integration of e-modules
- Further defining and using core competencies
- Curriculum/Lesson Development
- Motivating Students
- Critical Thinking
- Assessment Techniques
- Maintaining Student Engagement
- Case studies
- Experiential learning
- Basically any teaching and learning topic that is of interest to the audience
- Improved presentation skills
- Improved interview skills